Thursday, October 14, 2010

Strawberry Penguin Suits

I am a very naughty ex-roomie and I left some stuff at Corcoran Street that I've slowly been craigslisting off. I went over to the old homestead at 8am on Saturday morning to meet a girl who was hauling away a stray end table. I opened the front door and standing in the foyer was a pajama-clad Lizzie. LT is a lot of things, but an early riser is NOT one of them. What could she be up to? "I'm having a kitchen emergency," she whispered. Why-are-we-whispering and is-it-on-fire were my first thoughts. Luckily, no the fire extinguisher did not need to be involved. Sweet, sweet Lizzie was hosting a bridal shower for a friend and she was making some treats for the ladies. Unfortunately, our dear girl was having some problems making her chocolate covered strawberry tuxedos. I rolled up my sleeves and was happy to help. I think they turned out super cute.

Strawberry Penguin Suits
Ingredients:
1 pint of strawberries
1 bag milk chocolate chips
1 bag white chocolate chips
4 tsp. crisco
1. Wash and thoroughly pat the strawberries dry. Water and chocolate are NOT friends so you want the berrys dry when you dip them.
2. Pour chocolate chips into one microwave safe bowl and white chips into another. Add 2 tsp. crisco to each bowl.
3. Nuke the milk chocolate for 1 minute, stir, then 45 seconds. Stir and check to see if it is smoothly melted. They may need another 30 seconds, but maybe not. Repeat for the white chocolate.4. Dip the strawberries completely in the white chocolate (this is the shirt) and set on a parchment lined baking tray in the fridge to cool.
5. When they are cool, take the berries and, on an angle, dip them into the chocolate twice to make the "tuxedo jacket"
6. Let them cook and put the remaining chocolate (white and dark) each in their own small ziplock plastic baggie. You can cut a tiny tip off the corner of the baggies to use it as a tool to pipe the chocolate into buttons on your tuxedo berries.
7. We went with simple white buttons on the black jacket, but I've seen tons of embellishments (bow ties, etc) if you are feeling creative. We were mostly feeling sleepy since it was pre-dawn strawberry assembly.
I think they turned out super cute. Serve them in individual muffin tins for easy handling and dainty bridal-shower eating.
And Lizzie said that they stole the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment